Friday, December 08, 2006

December 8 - Body Life

Today's Reading:
Old Testament: Joshua 18 - 20
New Testament: Romans 12

Focus Verses: Romans 12
4Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully. 9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

Insight:
God's intent for Christian community is that it be meaningful, deep, helpful, and beautiful. Every Christian has a place in the body of Christ and has something to contribute to the rest of the body. We are called to be devoted to one another, to have sincere love for each other, and to honor one another above ourselves.

Response and Action:
I need to see myself in the context of Christian community. I need others to help me live and grow in Christ. By using my gifts, I can help others to do the same. I must invest myself -- devote myself to building meaningful relationships with others in my church and circle of Christian friends. I must always be looking for ways to love them, serve them, and honor them.

O God, help me to experience true Christian community. Help me to be faithful, fruitful, and effective as your servant: as a husband, father, son, brother, friend, neighbor, and colleague. Help me to love others with a selfless love that seeks their best interest. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 8:13
"To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I (wisdom) hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech."

Resources:
Christly Gestures: Learning to Be Members of the Body of Christ
by Brett P. Webb-Mitchell