Friday, May 25, 2007

May 25 - A Little Faith

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Proverbs 25
N.T. - Mark 9:2 - 50

Focus Verses: Mark 9:21-24
21Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?" "From childhood," he answered. 22"It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us." 23" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes." 24Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Insight:
"Everything is possible for him who believes." Really? What an outrageous thing for Jesus to say! Who can blame this poor father for struggling with belief? His son's life, and his own, had been terrorized by a self-destructive illness that was violent and demonic. Even after prolonged suffering and years of hopelessness, the man was somehow open to the possibility that Jesus could do something. I don't think Jesus was scolding the man; I think he was saying, "Don't stop believing in what God can do! No matter how hopeless it seems, hold on to what is possible with God."

Response and Action:
I identify strongly with this man. So many things in life make me cry out to Jesus, "If you can do anything, take pity on us." But even my cry is a expression of faith. Even my "if you can, God" is evidence of my hope in the face of doubt. The size of my faith is not what matters. What matters is where that faith is placed. I will put my faith and confidence in Jesus, believing that he is able to do all things. I believe that he will save and deliver me from evil. My hope is in Jesus.

O God, I believe. Save me from unbelief and increase my faith. My faith is in you. Your strength and your goodness are not diminished by the size of my faith. Even a mustard seed of faith can move mountains, if that faith is in you. Bolster my spirit, O God, and give me confidence, as I trust you with all my heart. I will not lean on my own understanding, but will instead acknowledge you in every need, and every circumstance of every day. Amen.

Proverbs: 25:25
"Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land."

Resources:
Getting Honest With God: Praying As If God Really Listens
by Mark Littleton