Tuesday, May 08, 2007

May 8 - Unfairly Generous

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Proverbs 8
N.T. - Matthew 20

Focus Verses:
Matthew 20:9-16
9"The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. 10So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.' 13"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? 14Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?' 16"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."

Insight:
Although they were paid a fair wage for their work, the first people to be hired thought it was unfair for those hired last to receive the same amount of pay. The first hires had done more work and had labored through the heat of the day. They complained that equal pay for those hired last was unfair. The master did not argue the point of fairness. Instead, he explained that his "unfair" payment plan flowed out of his generosity. His benevolent nature made him more interested in seeing more people get a good job and a new start, than seeing them get equal pay. Besides, who knows just how much unfair and unequal treatment had already been suffered by those hired last? Can you think of any unjust reasons for unemployment?

Response and Action:
I wonder how many injustices in the world are continually perpetuated by appeals to "fairness." Fairness is not the highest good. I know that I want something more than "what is fair" when I consider the grace, generosity, love and redemption I need. Likewise, I cannot be gracious and loving toward others if I am more concerned with what is fair than what is redemptive and uplifting. I need to be careful not to let fairness be a guise for selfishness. I want to be "unfair" about my love and help for others; I want to give more than anybody deserves.

O God, you have been "unfair" with me. You have given me more than I deserve. Please help me to be generous like you. Help me to value the things that save and restore more than fairness. Make me a vessel of your goodness and give me a heart that rejoices when I see your blessing and grace poured out on others. Amen.

Proverbs: 8:35
"For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD."

Resources:
Gracious Christianity: Living the Love We Profess
by Douglas Jacobsen and Rodney J. Sawa