Saturday, May 05, 2007

May 5 - Mountaintop Experience

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Proverbs 5
N.T. - Matthew 17

Focus Verses:
Matthew 17:1-5
1After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus. 4Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah." 5While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"

Insight:
Peter, James, and John had an incredible experience with Jesus that dramatically validated his claims to deity. Both Peter and John make reference to this experience in their New Testament writings (see 2 Peter 1:16-18, John 1:14). This transfiguration event brings to my mind other images and events in Scripture: Moses on Mount Sinai, Elijah on Mount Carmel and Mount Horeb, and John falling down down "as though dead" before the "Son of Man" (Revelation 1).

I can't imagine what a truly awesome and life-impacting occasion this must have been for the disciples. Previously they had only heard about dramatic displays of God’s power and authority in the stories of Moses and Elijah, but now they were experiencing it firsthand as Jesus was enveloped and transfigured before their eyes. They were surrounded by the bright cloud of the Holy Spirit’s presence and they heard the thundering voice of God declare, "This is my beloved and pleasing Son. Listen to him!" The divinity of Jesus was not a story they "cleverly invented" (1 Peter 1:16-18) but rather a reality to which "they were eyewitnesses."

Response and Action:
I will remember that the New Testament stories of Jesus are the reliable accounts of eyewitnesses. Their beliefs about Jesus were rooted in powerful experiences and clear revelation from God. The genuineness of their testimony is proven by their wholehearted commitment to Jesus as the Christ, the divine Son of God, and the Savior of the world. I believe they were telling the truth. My faith is rooted in their testimony.

O God, thank you for your Son, Jesus, and the testimony of Scripture. Thank you for the testimony of eyewitnesses and the witness of history to the claims and identity of Jesus. I ask, Dear Lord, that you would also strengthen my faith and confirm the truth of Jesus in the experiences of my life. Make his glory visible to me, give me ears to listen to him, and make my heart quick to follow after him. Amen.

Proverbs 5:7
"Now then, my sons, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say."

Resources:
The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is
by N.T. Wright
Jesus According to Scripture: Restoring the Portrait from the Gospels
by Darrell Bock