Thursday, May 03, 2007

May 3 - Out of the Heart

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Proverbs 1 - 2
N.T. - Matthew 15

Focus Verses:
Matthew 15:10-11;17-20
10Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' " - - - 17"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' "

Proverbs 2:6
6For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Insight:
The regulations that accompany tradition and ritual are not able to shape or transform the heart. Humility, surrender, reverence, and love for God are essential to being shaped and guided by him. A life lived for God must flow out of a heart devoted to God. Meaningful tradition and the observance of rituals must flow out of a heart that desires to honor and worship God. Jesus consistently warns against confusing rule-keeping with righteousness. True righteousness doesn't even require rules because the truly righteous heart is already inclined to honor God in word and deed.

Response and Action:
I want to honor God is my thoughts, my speech, my attitudes, and my action. This "want" is absolutely necessary to such a life. When my heart is shaped by God, my life will take on the shape of godliness. If my heart is guided by my love for God and surrender to his will, my life and habits will be formed by God's love and will. While honoring God will result in a disciplined and principled life, I must never confuse adherence to rules with reverence for God.

O God, help me to turn away from what is wrong and do what is right. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead me, teach me, and shape me. Give me a heart that is devoted to you, and a life that flows from your presence and your transforming work in me. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Resources:
The Spirit of the Disciplines: Understanding How God Changes Lives
by Dallas Willard
Renovation of the Heart
by Dallas Willard