Monday, August 13, 2007

August 13 - Reaping Wind

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Hosea 7 - 9
N.T. - Matthew 6:19-34

Focus Verses: Hosea 8:7-8

7 "They sow the wind and reap the whirlwind. The stalk has no head; it will produce no flour. Were it to yield grain, foreigners would swallow it up. 8 Israel is swallowed up; now she is among the nations like a worthless thing.

Insight:
Instead of seeking God and things of eternal value, Israel had short-sightedly pursued worthless things. In the process, Israel lost its direction and its values. We become empty and our lives become worthless when we lose sight of the things that have true worth.

Response and Action:
I will make Jesus my number one pursuit. I will seek his kingdom and his righteousness. I want to find out what pleases God and commit myself to the things that have true and eternal value. And because I want my life to be full and meaningful, I will put first the things that last.

O God, help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Give me the wisdom to know what is true and valuable and give me the heart and the will to pursue them above all else. Help me to live a productive life that honors you, blesses others, and satisfies me. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 13:18
"He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored."

Resources:
Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day
by James Emery White