Tuesday, August 14, 2007

August 14 - Break Up the Ground

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Hosea 10 - 14
N.T. - Matthew 13:1-23

Focus Verses: Hosea 10:12

12 Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the LORD, until he comes and showers righteousness on you.

Insight:
The call to righteousness is a call to soften and open your heart. Like soil that needs to be tilled and broken up to receive seed and produce a crop, our hearts must be made ready to receive God's word and to produce righteousness as God nurtures that seed by the showers of his grace and provision.

Response and Action:
I need to be softhearted toward God. I need to break up the soil of my life and receive the word of God's truth.

O God, by your grace and mercy, help me to soften my heart. I seek you with all my heart. Make the field of my life ready to receive your truth and your guidance. Nurture and sustain me that I might grow strong in faith and be productive in life. Help me to honor you in all things. Amen.

Proverbs: 14:26
"He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge."

Resources:
The Garden of the Soul: Cultivating Your Spiritual Life
by Keri Wyatt Kent