Thursday, August 30, 2007

August 30 - Dreams that are False

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Zechariah 10 - 12
N.T. - 1 Thessalonians 1

Focus Verses: Zechariah 10:1,2

1 Ask the LORD for rain in the springtime; it is the LORD who makes the storm clouds. He gives showers of rain to men, and plants of the field to everyone. 2 The idols speak deceit, diviners see visions that lie; they tell dreams that are false, they give comfort in vain. Therefore the people wander like sheep oppressed for lack of a shepherd.

Insight:
We are so prone to look to the wrong places to find the blessing and help we need for life. God is the one who can truly bless and provide. Everything else that promises life and blessing is deceitful. We should ask the Lord for what we need.

Response and Action:
Where do I turn for comfort, purpose, hope, happiness, and fulfillment? Only God can truly provide these for me. Money, food, friends, sex, entertainment, possessions, prestige, power, ambition, and privilege are all deceitful idols when they promise to give what they cannot deliver.

O God, help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Give me the wisdom to look to you for life, truth, and joy. Help me to turn away from worthless things that cannot satisfy. Help me to seek you and turn to you first. Amen.

Proverbs: 30:5
"Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

Resources:
Why I Am a Christian
by John Stott