Saturday, August 25, 2007

August 25 - The Meek and Humble

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Zephaniah 1 - 3
N.T. - Luke 14:15-35

Focus Verses: Zephaniah 3:11-13

11 On that day you will not be put to shame for all the wrongs you have done to me, because I will remove from this city those who rejoice in their pride. Never again will you be haughty on my holy hill. 12 But I will leave within you the meek and humble, who trust in the name of the LORD. 13 The remnant of Israel will do no wrong; they will speak no lies, nor will deceit be found in their mouths. They will eat and lie down and no one will make them afraid."

Insight:
Pride and self-reliance had led many in Israel to be rebellious and sinful. Meekness and humility go hand in hand with trust in God. The remnant of Israel who trusted in God were those who were righteous and honest. Ultimately, Zephaniah prophesied, they would be the ones who would find rest and have nothing to fear.

Response and Action:
I need to be on guard against pride and the deception of self-reliance. Meekness and humility are essential to holiness and honesty. I will put my trust in God and find my rest in his promises.

O God, help me to live for you and through you this day in thought, word, and deed. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. Lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Give me a humble heart that hopes and trusts in you. Amen.

Proverbs: 25:6-7a
"Do not exalt yourself in the king's presence, and do not claim a place among great men; it is better for him to say to you, "Come up here," than for him to humiliate you before a nobleman."

Resources:
Mere Christianity ("The Great Sin" - Chapter 8)
by C. S. Lewis