Friday, April 11, 2008

April 11 - Any Way I Can

Overview of: Mark

Today's Reading:
Mark 2:1-28
"Encounters with Jesus"

Focus Verses: Mark 2:2-4
2 So many gathered that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them. 3 Some men came, bringing to him a paralytic, carried by four of them. 4 Since they could not get him to Jesus because of the crowd, they made an opening in the roof above Jesus and, after digging through it, lowered the mat the paralyzed man was lying on.

Insight:
Today's scripture passage describes a wide variety of encounters people had with Jesus. We see the struggle someone had just trying to get close to Jesus and a tax collector who decided to follow Jesus. On one occasion the Pharisees questioned Jesus about his diet and associations with people they deplored. On another occasion they criticize his observance of Sabbath law. Jesus offered new hope, new purpose, "new wine," and new understanding.

Response and Action:
I am struck by the persistence of the paralytic and his friends. They were dogged in their efforts to get close to Jesus. The four men were willing to do whatever it took to get their friend next to Jesus.

That's the way I want to pursue Jesus. That's the way I want to help my friends get next to Jesus. Because I believe Jesus offers hope, healing, purpose, and understanding for life, I will be tenacious and unwavering in my efforts to get myself and my friends as close to him as possible.

O God, thank you for all you have given through Jesus. My hope and faith and purpose are in him. Help me to get closer to him every day in any way I can. Help me to press on in order to take hold of that for which he has taken hold of me. Help me to know him through the pages of Scripture, through the witness of the church, and through the indwelling of his Spirit. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 40:16-17
16 But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, "The LORD be exalted!" 17 Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay.
In Context: Psalm 40:1-17

Proverb for Today: Prov. 11:30

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise."

Recommended Reading:
Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship
by N. T. Wright