Wednesday, April 02, 2008

April 2 - Growing Up

Overview of: Luke

Today's Reading:
Luke 2:41-52
"Jesus in the Temple as a Boy"

Focus Verses: Luke 2:49-52
49 "Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" 50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them. 51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Insight:
With all of the unusual circumstances surrounding the birth of Jesus, it's not hard to imagine that his childhood would be marked by unusual events. The four gospels of the New Testament, however, tell us very little about Jesus' boyhood. In fact, the short story of Jesus in the Temple as a twelve-year old boy, during his family's Passover trip to Jerusalem, is the only childhood event recorded in the Bible.

Though the account is very short, it gives us some interesting insights about Jesus. It reveals that even as a boy Jesus had a sense of calling. He spoke about his mission, and referred to God as his Father. At age twelve, Jesus was so knowledgeable of Scripture he could have intelligent and thought-provoking conversations with the experts in the Law. Jesus treated his mother, Mary, and his stepfather, Joseph, with dignity and respect. He obeyed them as he grew in stature, increased in wisdom, and earned the respect of others.

Response and Action:
From a young age, Jesus faithfully pursued God's purpose for his life. He knew the Scriptures, and was obedient to God. Like Jesus, I want to live by faith and seek God's purpose for my life. I want to know the Scriptures. I want to engage with others in meaningful conversations about God, the Kingdom, and the meaning of life.

O God, give me a love and passion for the Scriptures. Give me guidance for my life, and help me to apply your word to my daily life. Help me to discuss and declare the grace and truth of Christ Jesus with others around me. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 119:99-101
99 I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. 100 I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts. 101 I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.
In Context: Psalm 119:97-112

Proverb for Today: Prov. 2:6
"For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding."

Recommended Reading:
Jesus the Messiah: A Survey of the Life of Christ
by Robert H. Stein