Tuesday, April 29, 2008

April 29 - Watchful, Faithful, and Ready

Overview of: Matthew

Today's Reading:
Matt. 25:1-30
"Parables: Lamps and Talents"

Focus Verses: Matt. 25:13, 29
13 "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

29 "For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him."

Insight:
The two parables in today's reading have been interpreted most often in the light of the second coming of Christ. Of course, for anyone who believes in God, the ideas of being watchful and faithful have much broader application and importance. Had the first century Jewish leaders been more watchful and faithful, they would have recognized Jesus as the Christ. And today, if followers of Jesus are going to be ready for opportunity, service, hardship, death, and crisis, they must be watchful and faithful.

Response and Action:
I want to approach life with thoughtfulness and readiness. I will live with reverence toward God, think ahead, and give prayerful consideration to my actions. I will remember that my thoughts and actions have consequences, and hold my choices up to the light of God's word. I will strive to be a good steward, to be faithful with all God has given to me, using it for his purposes and for his glory. I want to be faithful to Christ, so that whatever happens, I will be ready.

O God, by the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me that I might delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Help me to be a good steward of all you have given me. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Help me to be watchful and to fix my eyes on Jesus. It's in his name that I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 23:4
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
In Context: Psalm 23

Proverb for Today: Prov. 29:18

"Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law."

Recommended Reading:
Interpreting the Parables
by Craig Blomberg