Wednesday, April 23, 2008

April 23 - Convinced

Overview of: Luke

Today's Reading:
Luke 16:1-31
"Money, Marriage, and Mercy"

Focus Verses: Luke 16:29-31
29 "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.' 30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.' 31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

Insight:
There are honest skeptics who are truly searching for truth. There are dishonest skeptics who have no intention of looking beyond their own opinions. An honest skeptic is open to dialogue and receptive to new ideas. A dishonest skeptic would not be convinced even if someone rose from the dead (they would explain it away).

Response and Action:
I want to be a discerning and thoughtful person. I want to develop critical thinking skills and be able to give careful consideration to difficult questions about life and faith. I do not, however, want to confuse critical thinking with dishonest skepticism. I don't want to confuse tough questions with thoughtful conclusions. I will look to the scriptures with an open mind and a receptive heart. I will avoid the arrogance that leads to a closed mind.

O God, thank you for your son, Jesus, and for the Scriptures, and for the Holy Spirit. Thank you for the capacity to think and to believe. Grant me the courage and honesty to be open to truth. Give me the wisdom to discern my own weakness and limitations. Make me wise and give me understanding, so that I might live by the truth and give you praise. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Old Testament for Today: Psalm 14:1-2
1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good. 2 The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.
In Context: Psalm 14

Proverb for Today: Prov. 23:23

"Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding."

Recommended Reading:
Letters from a Skeptic
by Gregory A. Boyd