Saturday, January 10, 2009

January 10 - Snared by Success

Overview of: 1 Kings

Today's Reading:
1 Kgs. 11:1 – 12:33
"Decline and Division"

Focus Verses: 1 Kings 11:9-11
9 The LORD became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice. 10 Although he had forbidden Solomon to follow other gods, Solomon did not keep the LORD's command. 11 So the LORD said to Solomon, "Since this is your attitude and you have not kept my covenant and my decrees, which I commanded you, I will most certainly tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your subordinates.

Insight:
Solomon's success seems to have squelched his spirit. In the accumulation of wealth, he lost track of wisdom. He became completely occupied with his own desires, and his prosperity turned his heart away from seeking and serving God. This led not only to his own demise, but also the downfall and division of Israel.

Response and Action:
If it turns me away from God, I do not want success, wealth, comfort, or possessions. I want to be a good steward of all God gives. I want every blessing from God to draw me closer to him. I want gratitude and praise to be my response to every success. I want to be devoted to God. I will seek him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I will guard my heart against attitudes, desires, and even blessings that distract me from putting Christ first.

O God, help me to turn away from what is wrong and do what is right. Help me to love you with all that is within me. Do not let success become a snare to me. Do not let me be thrown off balance by blessings. Help me to fix my eyes on Jesus, and to press forward to take hold of that for which Christ took hold of me. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Phil. 3:14
14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
In Context: Philippians 3:8-14

Proverb for Today: Prov. 10:16
"The wages of the righteous bring them life, but the income of the wicked brings them punishment."

Recommended Reading:
A Long Obedience in the Same Direction
by Eugene Peterson