Saturday, January 17, 2009

January 17 - Living Grace

Overview of: Jonah

Today's Reading:
Jonah 1:1 – 4:11
"The Story of Jonah"

Focus Verses: Jonah 2:8
8 "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs."

Insight:
This insight came to Jonah as he prayed inside the great fish God sent to swallow him. Sadly, he had been running from God's call to go and preach that grace to the people of Ninevah. Jonah wanted God's grace, but he didn't want God's to be gracious and merciful toward the Ninevites.

Jonah realized the truth of grace, but he was not eager to see God’s grace given to his enemies. God, on the other hand, had such great grace for Ninevah that he even expresses a concern for their cattle (4:11).

Response and Action:
I need God's grace and mercy for life. I should want to see that grace given to everyone, including my enemies. I should be faithful and ready to share God's grace with all people.

O God, forgive me for the times I am selfish with your goodness. Give me a heart that rejoices in seeing your grace extended toward all people. Help me to be a faithful witness and channel of that grace to everyone around me. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: 1 Thes. 1:9b-10
9b ...you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 10 and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.
In Context: 1 Thessalonians 1:2-10

Proverb for Today: Prov. 17:3
"The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the LORD tests the heart."

Recommended Reading:
What's So Amazing about Grace
by Philip Yancey