Thursday, January 08, 2009

January 8 - The Light of Wisdom

Overview of: Proverbs

Today's Reading:
Prov. 4:1-27; 10:1-32
"Proverbs of Solomon"

Focus Verses: Prov. 4:18-24
18 The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day. 19 But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble. 20 My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. 21 Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; 22 for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body. 23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

Insight:
Life's path becomes clearer for those who walk in wisdom and righteousness. The longer they walk, the more they can see by the bright light of truth and understanding. Life's path becomes darker and more confusing for those who turn away from wisdom, and walk in sin. They constantly stumble in the dark, and can't even figure out what they are tripping over.

People who fail to seek wisdom and do not guard their hearts end up with lives that are unhealthy. The well of their lives becomes corrupted or runs dry. Those who seek wisdom find Jesus, and those who place their faith in him find living water that never runs dry. Streams of truth, wisdom, light, and peace flow within them, and overflow into the world around them.

Response and Action:
I will trust in the Lord with all my heart and not lean on my own understanding. I will seek Jesus with my whole heart, believing that he is the way, the truth, and the life. I will guard my heart from the things that corrupt and distract and deceive. I will surrender my heart to Jesus who heals, leads, transforms, and empowers me by the power and grace of his Holy Spirit.

O God, help me to walk in wisdom and righteousness. Make the path of my life brighter each day I follow Jesus. Satisfy my thirst with the living water of your grace and truth. May I be so filled that a river of life flows out of me to bless my family and friends, my church, my neighborhood, and the world around me. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Matthew 7:24, 28-29
24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. - - - 28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law."
In Context: Matthew 7:24-29

Proverb for Today: Prov. 8:33-34
"Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway."

Recommended Reading:
How to Read Proverbs
by Tremper Longman