Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 28 - Singing with God

Overview of: Zephaniah

Today's Reading:
Zeph. 1:1; 3:1-20
"Judgment and Salvation"

Focus Verses: Zephaniah 3:14-17
14 Sing, O Daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O Daughter of Jerusalem! 15 The LORD has taken away your punishment, he has turned back your enemy. The LORD, the King of Israel, is with you; never again will you fear any harm. 16 On that day they will say to Jerusalem, "Do not fear, O Zion; do not let your hands hang limp. 17 The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Insight:
Zephaniah’s main message was about the impending "the day of the Lord" (Isa 2:11,17,20; Joel 1:15; 2:2; Am 5:18; 8:9). On that day, Judah and the surrounding nations would all be punished for their cruelty to mankind and their disregard toward God.

Like the other prophets of his time, he also proclaimed the hope of renewal. God would bless and care for the faithful remnant of Israel and bring restoration. One day there would be singing and rejoicing by those who would be saved (v. 14) and by the God who would save them (v.17).

Response and Action:
God has the power to save. I will put my hope in God, believing in his will and his power to save. He can take away my fears. He can give me peace. I will commit myself to being a faithful follower. I will not fear judgment because I have found grace and forgiveness and guidance through Jesus. I look forward to the day of the Lord, knowing that all who are in Christ will sing songs of joy and thanksgiving to God, our Savior. God, himself, will sing and rejoice our my salvation.

O God, show me your ways. Help me to overcome the sins and struggles of today. Bring me safely into a future of joy and restoration. Delight in me, and give me the heart and the will to delight in you. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Hebrews 10:24-25
24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
In Context: Hebrews 10

Proverb for Today: Prov. 28:1
"The wicked man flees though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion."

Recommended Reading:
The Smell of Sin: And the Fresh Air of Grace
by Don Everts