Thursday, August 20, 2009

August 20 - Stars and Sorrows

Overview of: PSALMS

Today's Reading:
Psalms 147 – 150

Focus Verses: Psalm 147:3-5
3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. 4 He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. 5 Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit.

Insight:
The God, who has created the universe and knows every star by name, created me and knows my every need. There is no limit to his understanding. He cares for me and he brings healing when I am hurt and when my heart is broken. He is able to renew my life.

Response and Action:
In a world of hurt and injury, I trust God to heal and renew me. I believe God knows my name and understands my needs. He is greater than the things that wear me out and break my heart. His strength is greater than my weakness. I will trust in his faithfulness to renew and sustain me. I will praise him for the restoration and healing he has already provided me so many times in the past. I will continue to hope in his promises for my future.

O God, your understanding reaches from the farthest star to my deepest sorrow. You know the secrets of how the universe was formed, and you know the secret things that break my heart. You are the creator of all things, and you are able to renew and restore and redeem all who look to you in faith. Forgive me for the ways I have contributed to the brokenness of the world and the brokenness of my own life. Renovate my heart and renew my mind. Save and heal me. Make me an instrument of your care and redemptive love in this weary and wounded world. I pray all this in the healing and saving name of Jesus. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 20:27
"The lamp of the LORD searches the spirit of a man; it searches out his inmost being."

New Testament for Today: 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
In Context: 2 Corinthians 4

Recommended Reading:
The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
by Brennan Manning