Saturday, August 08, 2009

August 8 - Saying It

Overview of: PSALMS

Today's Reading:
Psalms 106 - 107

Focus Verses:
Psalm 107:1-3, 29-32

1 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. 2 Let the redeemed of the LORD say this—those he redeemed from the hand of the foe, 3 those he gathered from the lands, from east and west, from north and south. - - - 29 He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. 30 They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven. 31 Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men. 32 Let them exalt him in the assembly of the people and praise him in the council of the elders.

Insight:
God redeems and saves his people. Those who have been delivered should say so! They should express their thankfulness to God. They should tell others about specific ways God has helped and redeemed them. They should praise him publicly for the wonderful deeds he has done for them.

Response and Action:
What are the ways God has saved me? How has he provided for my needs? From what foes has he delivered me? What storms has he calmed in my life?

I've been redeemed, and so I will say it: "God's love endures forever." I want to express my thanksgiving to God. I want to rejoice in the ways God has saved me. I want to tell others about how my life has been blessed and sustained by his loving mercy. I'm redeemed, and so I will talk about it, give thanks to God for it, and give witness to the world around me.

O God, you are my hope and salvation. I will give you thanks, and I will testify of your goodness to me. Thank you for saving, protecting, delivering, correction, blessing, and loving your people. Thank you for Jesus, your Son, who saves and redeems my life. It's in his name that I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 8:34
"Blessed is the man who listens to me (Wisdom), watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway."

New Testament for Today: Luke 8:22-25
24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25 "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."
In Context: Luke 8:24-25

Recommended Reading:
Learning to Pray Through the Psalms
by James Sire