Thursday, August 06, 2009

August 6 - Living with Integrity

Overview of: Psalms

Today's Reading:
Psalms 95 – 101

Focus Verses: Psalm 101:2-3, 6
2 I will be careful to lead a blameless life—when will you come to me? I will walk in my house with blameless heart. 3 I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me. - - - 6 My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to me.

Insight:
King David desired to live with integrity. He understood that the life he longed for required intentionality. He would need to exercise discipline and make choices that were consistent with his desire to honor God and walk in truth. He would need an awareness of God's presence. He would need to be careful about the things to which he gave his time and attention--the things he would put before his eyes. He would need to avoid relationships that turned him away from God or caused him to stray from truth. He would need to seek out relationships and support from others who shared his desire to honor God and live righteously.

Response and Action:
I share David's desire to honor God and live with integrity. I want my love for God, and my commitment to honor him, to be fully integrated with every aspect of my life. I will be careful and intentional about my choices. I will set my heart and mind on things that strengthen my heart for God. I will be careful about the things I place before my eyes. I will avoid relationships with people or things that diminish my faithfulness to God. I will seek out friendships and resources that nurture and spur me on toward righteousness.

O God, help me to delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Help me to be a good steward of the life you have given me. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, to feed my spirit, to stimulate my mind, and to care for my body. Help me to fix my eyes on Jesus, and to follow him in the company of friends who are doing the same. Help me to set my thoughts on things that are noble, beautiful, and true, and to set my heart on things above. Amen.

New Testament for Today: Titus 2:11-14
11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12 It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.
In Context: Titus 2

Proverb for Today: Prov. 6:23
"For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life..."

Recommended Reading:
The Pursuit of God
by A. W. Tozer