Monday, August 31, 2009

August 31 - Honey

We'll begin the 2009-10 reading schedule on Monday, September 7. The new schedule will soon be available as a downloadable pdf. Look for that this week.

If you were a little behind on the 2008-09 reading plan, you can use this week to catch up. Every day this week, I'll be posting a Bible passage that relates to the importance of spending time in God's Word.

Overview of: Bible FAQs

Today's Reading:

Psalm 119:81 - 104
"Love & Longing for the Word"

Focus Verses:
Psalm 119:97, 103-104
97 Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. - - - 103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104 I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.

Insight:
Bible reading should not be approached as a mere duty or study assignment. The psalmist loved the Scriptures and savored them like honey. When something is sweet and desirable it is approached as a joy and privilege. Those who delight in the richness of the Word gain understanding for life and find every right path.

Response and Action:
I am thankful for the Bible and I read it because I want to! I want to enjoy and delight in the precious gift of God's Word. So often Bible reading is talked about in terms of duty and discipline, but I think about it in terms of love and longing for truth. I cannot think of anything sweeter than finding my way in life and growing in wisdom.

O God, thank you for the sweetness and goodness of your Word. Help me to delight in it each day. Lead me and bless me as I do. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 30:5

"Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."

Recommended Resource:
Zondervan NIV Study Bible