Saturday, April 14, 2007

April 14 - Mercy & Justice

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 78 - 79
N.T. - Revelation 18

Focus Verses:
Psalm 79:9-10
9Help us, O God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name's sake. 10Why should the nations say, "Where is their God?" Before our eyes, make known among the nations that you avenge the outpoured blood of your servants.
Revelation 18:1-2a, 4-5, 24
1After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his splendor. 2aWith a mighty voice he shouted: "Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great! - - - 4Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues; 5for her sins are piled up to heaven, and God has remembered her crimes. " - - - 24"In her was found the blood of prophets and of the saints, and of all who have been killed on the earth."

Insight:
Once again, both Asaph the Psalmist and John the Revelator cry out to God for mercy and judgment. Both of them make lament the prosperity of the wicked and the persecution of the righteous.

Response and Action:
I need to recognize sin and injustice in my own life and appeal to God's mercy to forgive me, and God's grace to change me. I need to "come out of Babylon" and turn away from sin. I want to love the Lord, my God, with all my heart and all my soul and all my strength. I will persevere, even in a world filled with sin and injustice, because I believe God is merciful enough to forgive all those who surrender to him, and just enough to judge all those who reject and stand against him.

Open my mouth, O Lord, and my lips will declare your praise. O God, help me to live for you and through you in thought, word, and deed. Help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. In your mercy, forgive me for the wrongs I have done and rights I have left undone -- known and unknown to me. Forgive me for the ways I have been half-hearted in my love for you. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit -- the Lord, the giver of life -- lead, teach, transform, shape, and strengthen me, that I might delight in your will and walk in your ways to the glory of your name. Amen.

Proverbs: 14:32
"When calamity comes, the wicked are brought down, but even in death the righteous have a refuge."

Resources:
Deliver Us From Evil
by Ravi Zacharias