Saturday, April 21, 2007

April 21 - Fruit of Repentance

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 103 - 104
N.T. - Matthew 3

Focus Verses:
Matthew 3:8-10

8
Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

Psalm 103:8-14

8
The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. 9He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; 10he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. 11For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; 12as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. 13As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; 14for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.

Insight:
God knows my frailty and weakness. He knows I'm made of dust -- that I fail and sin -- and yet loves me. He has compassion on me as a good father has compassion on his children. God's compassion and forgiveness are given to all who have reverence for him, the humility to acknowledge sin, a heart to follow him, and the desire to live a fruitful life that honors him.

Response and Action:
Faith in God is more than a matter of words and beliefs; it is something to be lived out. True reverence for God is proven by good deeds in the way a good tree produces good fruit. True repentance results in a turning away from sin and a desire to follow God in my everyday choices and actions.

O God, have mercy upon me, a sinner. In your compassion, forgive my sin. Give me the strength and heart to live a life that honors you. Grant me the wisdom and the will to guard my heart, feed my spirit, stimulate my mind, and care for my body. Thank you for your faithfulness to forgive and purify. By the power and guidance of your Holy Spirit, help me delight in your will and walk in your ways to the glory of your name. Amen.

Proverbs: 21:2-3
"All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart. To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice."

Resources:
Repentance: The First Word of the Gospel
by Richard Owen Roberts