Monday, April 09, 2007

April 9 - Patient Endurance

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 62 - 65
N.T. - Revelation 13

Focus Verses:
Revelation 13:10
10
If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword he will be killed. This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints."
Psalm 63:6-10
6On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. 7Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. 8My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. 9They who seek my life will be destroyed; they will go down to the depths of the earth. 10They will be given over to the sword and become food for jackals.

Insight:
Each day on earth people suffer at the hands of people. Poverty, war, greed, bigotry, and callous disregard for humanity make the world a difficult place to bear. Those who follow Christ in faith are to live with patient endurance and faithfulness. The Psalmist remembered God's righteousness and power to deliver. As he lay awake all night troubled by life-threatening circumstances and enemies, he thought about God and held onto his promises. He believed that God would act with righteousness and bring about justice in the end.

Response and Action:
I don't have many sleepless nights due to threatening circumstances or enemies, but I know there are so many people who do. I need to look for ways to act on their behalf. I need to pray for God's deliverance and justice. I need to open my eyes to ways I can minister to those who are suffering and work for social justice.

O God, you are my God; I seek you earnestly. Save and deliver us from evil, Lord, and may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Forgive us for the blindness to the needs of those who suffer in this world. Show me ways that my life can be a channel of your grace and healing. Give me patience and endurance in the face of overwhelming brokenness and the evil that dominates culture and circumstances in the world today. Amen.

Proverbs: 9:10
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding."

Resources:
Good News About Injustice: A Witness of Courage in a Hurting World
by Gary A. Haugen