Thursday, April 05, 2007

April 5 - Very Present Help

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 46 - 49
N.T. - Revelation 9

Focus Verses:
Revelation 9:6
6During those days men will seek death, but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them.

Psalm 46:1-6
1God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 2Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 3though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah 4There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. 5God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. 6Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

Insight:
God is an ever-present help. In times of trouble, I will run to him for refuge and lean on him for strength. No matter how traumatic and hopeless the situation, no matter how deep the grief, no matter how frightening the threats, I will look to the Most High.

Response and Action:
What are the threats and fears I am facing today? What troubles in the world depress and overwhelm me? What is breaking my heart and shaking my world? I will not seek death or give up in despair, I will remember that God is present and persevere through him.

O God, be near me when I walk through the valleys of life. Be the light of hope for me when the shadows of death are looming all around me. Be a rock and a refuge to me when the storms rage. Remind me of your goodness and the future hope you have for me. Save me at the break of day and renew me with the river of life that flows from you; make me glad and bring me safely into your presence forever. Amen.

Proverbs: 5:3-5
"For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil; but in the end she is bitter as gall, sharp as a double-edged sword. Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave."

Resources:
Is God Really in Control?: Trusting God in a World of Hurt
by Jerry Bridges