Saturday, April 07, 2007

April 7 - Foolish Heart

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 53 - 57
N.T. - Revelation 11

Focus Verses: Psalm 53:1-3
1The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and their ways are vile; there is no one who does good. 2God looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. 3Everyone has turned away, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one.

Insight:
What a person believes about God goes hand in hand with how a person lives. Corruption leads to turning away from God; and turning away from God leads to corruption. Seeking God accompanies understanding and doing good; and a desire to understand and do good accompanies seeking God.

Response and Action:
I am foolish when I say in my heart, "There is no God." To conclude that there is no God would be even more foolish. I need to be honest with myself and recognize when my own corruption and self-gratification is turning me away from God. It is also clear to me that the times when I am seeking God, are always the times when I am more motivated toward understanding and doing good.

O God, help me to know you and to grow in understanding. Grant me a heart and mind that are open and receptive to you. Help me live with reverence for you and to grow in my faith. Give me the heart of a seeker. And as I seek you, confirm my faith and drive away my doubts that I might love and server you with my whole heart. Amen.

Proverbs: 7:4
"Say to wisdom, 'You are my sister,' and call understanding your kinsman..."

Resources:
The Real Face of Atheism
by Ravi Zacharias