Saturday, March 15, 2008

March 15 - Trials Turned to Triumph

Overview of: Esther

Today's Reading:
Esther 7:1 – 8:17
"Threats Turned to Blessing"

Focus Verses: Esther 8:15-16
15 Mordecai left the king's presence wearing royal garments of blue and white, a large crown of gold and a purple robe of fine linen. And the city of Susa held a joyous celebration. 16 For the Jews it was a time of happiness and joy, gladness and honor.

Insight:
Mordecai and Esther were faithful to God and bold enough to take a stand for their people. Their trust in God proved to be well placed, as Haman's plot to destroy the Jews was turned back against him. Instead of destruction, the Jews experienced blessing.

Response and Action:
I will strive to be faithful to God and faithful to his people. I trust that God will bring me through any hardships or threats. I will be open and bold in my commitment to Christ, believing that his promise to protect and bless is greater than any threat or danger I face.

O God, give me the courage and faith to persevere in the face of adversity. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, strengthen me, guide me, and transform me, that I might stand firm in times of trouble. Give me the trust and confidence to look forward to the day when burdens will give way to blessing. I pray in the name of Jesus, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God now and forever. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 15:3
"The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good."

New Testament for Today: James 5:10-11
10 Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11 As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
In Context: James 5

Recommended Reading:
Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day
by James Emery White