Tuesday, March 04, 2008

March 4 - God's Hand

Overview of: Daniel

Today's Reading:
Daniel 5:1-31
"The Writing on the Wall"

Focus Verses: Daniel 5:22-24
22 "But you his son, O Belshazzar, have not humbled yourself, though you knew all this. 23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. You had the goblets from his temple brought to you, and you and your nobles, your wives and your concubines drank wine from them. You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways. 24 Therefore he sent the hand that wrote the inscription. 25 This is the inscription that was written: 'Mene , Mene , Tekel , Parsin.' "

Insight:
King Belshazzar should have learned something about being humble before God from the life experiences of his predecessor, Nebuchadnezzar. Instead, Belshazzar showed contempt for the God of Israel by using Temple goblets as party ware. Because these goblets had been made and set aside for a holy purpose, the arrogant carelessness of using them in pagan revelry was condemned as contempt for the God of Israel. Belshazzar did not recognize that his life was in God's hand, and so instead of receiving blessing from that hand, he would find it to be a hand of judgment.

Response and Action:
My life is in God's hand. He has made me for holy purposes. Giving myself to careless deeds and ungodly acts is an offense to God. I want to live with care and devotion toward God. I want to honor God with my mind and body. I will humble myself before God, and be careful to give myself to the things that serve his purposes and bring honor to his Name.

O God, give me the wisdom to understand that my life is from you. Save me from the arrogance and carelessness that would make it necessary for you to turn your hand in judgment against me. Grant me a heart that delights in your will. Help me to walk in your ways to the glory of your Name. Give me faith and humility to always look to your hand for blessing and direction. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 4:23
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

New Testament for Today: 2 Tim. 2:20-21
20 In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. 21 If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.
In Context: 2 Tim. 2:14-26

Recommended Reading:
Embracing the Mysterious God
by James Emery White