Tuesday, March 25, 2008

March 25 - Drinking Living Water

Overview of: Isaiah

Today's Reading:
Isaiah 55:1-13
"An Invitation for the Thirsty"

Focus Verses: Isaiah 55:1,6-7
1 "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. - - - 6 Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. 7 Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.

Insight:
The God who restores and saves, through the redemptive work of his Messiah, calls all who are thirsty to come to him. He calls us to seek him, and to forsake our evil ways and thoughts. He promises to pardon our sins and provide for our needs. Surely, this passage from Isaiah must have been in Jesus' mind when he said, "Let everyone who is thirsty come to me and drink."

Response and Action:
I believe that Jesus is God's Messiah. I look to Jesus for redemption, for pardon, for meaning, for purpose, and for fulfillment. My thirst for a satisfying life compels me to answer Jesus' call to come to him and drink. My need for forgiveness leads me to Jesus for pardon from sin. My desire for redemption and wholeness motivates me to turn away from unrighteousness.

O God, thank you for the invitation for life that you have given me through Christ. Help me to turn away from what is wrong and to do what is right. Satisfy the needs of my soul through the living water of Jesus. May my faith in him cause streams of living water to well up and flow out of me, that I might be a blessing to others. Amen.

New Testament for Today: John 7:37-38
37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."
In Context: John 7:25-44

Proverb for Today: Prov. 25:25
"Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land."

Recommended Reading:
Come Thirsty: No Heart Too Dry for His Touch
by Max Lucado