Monday, March 03, 2008

March 3 - Uncompromising Faith

Overview of: Daniel

Today's Reading:
Daniel 3:1-29
"Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego"

Focus Verses: Daniel 3:16-18
16 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

Insight:
When King Nebuchadnezzar commanded everyone to bow to the huge image he had made, Daniel's friends--Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego--refused to bow. They were unwilling to compromise their devotion to God. They were fully willing to face the consequences of their resistance, and trusted God to help them. Even if their faithfulness to God meant death, they were willing to stay true. They believed God could deliver them, but their faith was not dependent upon that. They were willing to honor God whether by life or death.

Response and Action:
I need to guard against compromising my faith in order to fit in or go along with the demands and expectations of my culture. I will not protect others from my faith in Jesus. I will not hide my love and commitment to him. Even if being seen as faithful to Jesus results in some difficult consequences, I will trust in God to deliver and sustain me.

O God, help me to honor you in all I say and do. Give me the courage to be open and confident in my faith. Don't let me be conformed to the pattern of this world, but instead, help me to be transformed by the power of your Holy Spirit. You alone, O Lord, are worthy of my praise and worship. Help me to be completely devoted to you, and to glorify Christ in every circumstance--whether by life or death. I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 3:5-6
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

New Testament for Today: Phil. 1:21
21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
In Context: Philippians 1:12-30

Recommended Reading:
Courage & Calling: Embracing Your God-Given Potential
by Gordon T. Smith