Wednesday, March 05, 2008

March 5 - Praying at My Window

Overview of: Daniel

Today's Reading:
Daniel 6:1-28
"Daniel Thrown to the Lions"

Focus Verses: Daniel 6:10
10 Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.

Insight:
As a young man, Daniel had lived with discipline and resolve (ch. 1). It is no surprise, then, that we find him (ch. 6) living a disciplined life of integrity as an older man. His routine and habits were so regular, and his character so blameless, that his enemies could not find anything in his life that could be used to discredit him. All they could do was look for a way to use Daniel's devotion to God against him.

When Daniel learned that his daily prayers had been banned. He refused to stop praying. He continued to pray as he always had, and made no effort to hide his practice. Three times a day he would open his upstairs windows and pray toward Jerusalem. His faith in the God of Israel was stronger than any fear of his enemies or the King of Persia.

Just as God had delivered Daniel's friends from the fiery furnace, Daniel was delivered from the mouths of lions. King Darius seems to have hoped Daniel's God would save him, and when he saw Daniel had been protected from death, he issued a decree that everyone should worship the God of Daniel.

Response and Action:
If it was illegal to pray, would there be enough evidence and consistency about prayer in my life for someone to convict me? Would a ban on prayer be a threat to my daily pattern of life? Would it change anything?

I want to be a person of prayer. I will commit my efforts to establish daily prayer habits. Daniel had three intentional prayer times each day. Similarly, I want to establish a pattern of setting aside a time for prayer every morning, afternoon, and evening. No one is threatening me or telling me I can't do this!

O God, thank you for the freedom and blessing I have to openly honor you through worship, prayer, and time in your word. Give me the wisdom and discipline to establish intentional and consistent daily practices that turn my heart and mind to you. By the power and grace of your Holy Spirit, mercifully shape and direct my life that I might be a blessing to others and a testimony of your goodness to your people. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 5:21-23
"For a man's ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all his paths. The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly."

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 6:10,18
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
In Context: Ephesians 6:10-20

Recommended Reading:
Daring to Draw Near: People in Prayer
by John White