Sunday, June 10, 2007

June 11 - Wait, Seek, Trust

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Isaiah 7 - 9
N.T. - 2 Peter 1:12-21

Focus Verses: Isaiah 8:17-20
17I will wait for the LORD, who is hiding his face from the house of Jacob. I will put my trust in him. 18Here am I, and the children the LORD has given me. We are signs and symbols in Israel from the LORD Almighty, who dwells on Mount Zion. 19When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? 20To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, they have no light of dawn.

Insight:
Matthew's use of Isaiah's famous Immanuel text, in his gospel account of Jesus' birth, is better known than Isaiah's original context for the prophecy. The nation of Israel and its king had turned away from God. Isaiah warned that now they would know God was with them as they experienced his judgment against them through the nation of Assyria. Isaiah announced that his wife would soon have a son, his name would be Immanuel (God with us), and before that child was old enough to know right and wrong, Assyria would invade and take over their land.

In the midst of this trouble, many would turn to spiritualism, superstition, and false gods rather than turning to God and the words of Scripture. Isaiah declares that they should instead look "to the law and to the testimony!" Anything that contradicts the word of Scripture, he says, "has no light of dawn." God was hiding his face from them; they would have to seek him out, look to Scripture, and put their trust in him.

Response and Action:
I must always remember that God is near; he is with us. If I turn away from him, it will become harder and harder for me to find him. If I refuse to acknowledge his presence, he may hide his face from me. Instead, I will do all I can to seek him, to know him, and to follow him. I will turn to him first in every circumstance. When things are difficult and I am overwhelmed with problems, I will continue to seek out God and I will look to the Scriptures as a primary source of truth and testimony. As the Apostle Peter said, "I would do well to pay attention to God's word, as a light shining in a dark place."

O God, you are closer to me than the air I breathe. Thank you for the indwelling of your Holy Spirit. Give me a growing awareness of your presence as I seek you and follow you. How can I keep my way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; don't let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Amen.

Proverbs: 11:27
"He who seeks good finds goodwill, but evil comes to him who searches for it."

Resources:
Why Isn't God More Obvious?
by Paul K. Moser

No comments: