Thursday, June 21, 2007

June 21 - Divine Intervention

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Isaiah 37 - 39
N.T. - James 5:7 - 20

Focus Verses: Isaiah 38:12-16
12Like a shepherd's tent my house has been pulled down and taken from me. Like a weaver I have rolled up my life, and he has cut me off from the loom; day and night you made an end of me. 13I waited patiently till dawn, but like a lion he broke all my bones; day and night you made an end of me. 14I cried like a swift or thrush, I moaned like a mourning dove. My eyes grew weak as I looked to the heavens. I am troubled; O Lord, come to my aid!" 15But what can I say? He has spoken to me, and he himself has done this. I will walk humbly all my years because of this anguish of my soul. 16Lord, by such things men live; and my spirit finds life in them too. You restored me to health and let me live.

Insight:
When Isaiah delivered the prophetic word from God that King Hezekiah was going to die, the King cried out in prayer and asked God to intervene. God had told Isaiah that Hezekiah would not recover from the illness he was suffering, but that changed when Hezekiah pleaded to God to save him. God responded and extended Hezekiah's life by fifteen more years.

Response and Action:
God is able to change the course of our lives. He hears our prayers and is able to intervene in our lives. The future in known by God, but it is also subject to God's power and will. Nothing is beyond God's knowledge, and nothing is beyond God's power. This has tremendous implications for how I think about God, my future, and prayer. It is always appropriate to cry out to God for deliverance and intervention. All my needs, circumstances, and tomorrows are subject to God's sovereign will. I will humbly look to God in every day and in every concern. I will pray with confidence in God's ability to act and intervene for me.

O God, I believe you are powerful. I believe you are personal. I believe you are persuadable. I believe you are present and that you hear my voice. Because my faith is in you, I will humble myself before you and lift up my voice in prayer. Thank you for not being distant and unconcerned with the affairs and needs of your people. Walk with me, O God, and get involved with the details of my life. Save me, lead me, heal me, stretch me, strengthen me, guide me, and use me for your good pleasure and purposes. Amen.

Proverbs: 21:30
"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD."

Resources:
When God Answers Prayer
by Bob Russell and Rusty Russell