Wednesday, June 27, 2007

June 27 - Satisfaction

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Isaiah 55 - 57
N.T. - John 7

Focus Verses: Isaiah 55:1-3a
1 "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. 2 Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. 3a Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live.

Insight:
Only God can give true life and true satisfaction. It is such a waste to spend time, money, and effort on things that do not ultimately fulfill or satisfy the deepest longings our hearts. How many things have I chased after, thinking they would really make life great, only to find yet another empty promise!?

Jesus said, "Let everyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. For he who believes in me will have streams of living water flowing from the innermost part of his being." If we listen to God, give attention to his words, and take hold of the life he offers, we will find ourselves delighted and truly alive in Christ.

Note: Compare Acts 8:26-40 with yesterday's reading, Isaiah 52-54. Then take another look at chapters 55 - 56 from today's reading. Can you see any reason the man in Acts 8 might have been working hard to study and understand this part of Isaiah? What did he do when he understood the passage in the light of Jesus?

Response and Action:
God invites me to find fulfillment and satisfaction in him. Jesus invites me to come to him for life and meaning and salvation. I will respond to God's invitation and take hold of his promises by placing my faith and hope in Christ Jesus. I will follow Jesus and commit heart and soul to living by faith in him.

O God, forgive me for the times I chase after the things that do not give life. Give me the wisdom and will to seek you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. Only you can satisfy the desires of my heart. Only you can give my life the meaning and purpose I long for. Only you can meet my deepest needs and fulfill my highest aspirations. Thank you for Jesus and the life he gives to thirsty people like me who come to him and drink. Amen.


Proverbs: 27:19
"As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man."

Resources:
Cries of The Heart
by Ravi Zacharias