Monday, June 25, 2007

June 25 - Faith and Fear

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Isaiah 49 - 51
N.T. - Romans 8:18-39

Focus Verses:
Isaiah 51:7, 12-14

7 "Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have my law in your hearts: Do not fear the reproach of men or be terrified by their insults. - - - 12 "I, even I, am he who comforts you. Who are you that you fear mortal men, the sons of men, who are but grass, 13 that you forget the LORD your Maker, who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth, that you live in constant terror every day because of the wrath of the oppressor, who is bent on destruction? For where is the wrath of the oppressor? 14 The cowering prisoners will soon be set free; they will not die in their dungeon, nor will they lack bread.

Insight:
People suffer at the hands of other people every day. Sadly, men and women suffering reproach, insults, terrorism, oppression, destruction, bondage, and starvation at the hands of others is a fact of life. It's easy to live in fear of all the terrible things people do to each other. God encourages his people, "those who know what is right and have his law in their hearts," to remember and trust him. He reassures them that his power to save and deliver is greater than humanity's power to destroy or hurt. Those who trust in God do not need to fear men.

Response and Action:
I do not want to live in fear. I will put my trust in God. I will remember and cling to his promises. I will be careful to pursue righteousness and be good to others. I will commit myself to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk with my God. My confidence and hope are in the Lord.

O God, thank you for your promises to save and deliver your people. Give me a hope in you that eclipses all my fears and worries. You have said, O God, that you will never leave or forsake me, and so I have confidence for life. You are my helper, I will not be afraid. Amen.


Proverbs: 25:25
"Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land."

Resources:
Be Not Afraid
by David Ivaska