Sunday, September 16, 2007

September 16 - God the Seeker

The new Useful Breath Reading Schedule for 2007-08 will begin tomorrow, September 17. Download the complete plan by clicking the link in the right column. Six readings each week will take you through key passages of the Bible from Genesis through Revelation by August of 2008.

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 119:153 - 176
N.T. - Luke 15

Focus Verses: Psalm 119:174-176

174 I long for your salvation, O LORD, and your law is my delight. 175 Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me. 176 I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.

Insight:
Even those who delight in God's law can stray from it. Getting lost doesn't mean that you've forgotten God's commands. The psalmist asks God to seek him out when he strays, and to bring him back to the truth.

Response and Action:
Knowing God's word helps me know how to live and what choices to make. It also helps me know when I have strayed or lost my way. I will seek God with all my heart, but I will also ask God to seek and save me!

O God, teach me your ways. Guide me in your truth and teach me. When I stray, O Lord, please seek me and bring me back to the green pastures and still waters of your truth and blessing. Thank you for Jesus, who came to seek and save the lost. Amen.

Proverbs: 16:17
"The highway of the upright avoids evil; he who guards his way guards his life."

Resources:
How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
by Gordon Fee