Saturday, September 08, 2007

September 8 - My Ways and My Maker

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 119:57 - 80
N.T. - 2 Timothy 3:10-16

Focus Verses: Psalm 119:59, 73

59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes. 73 Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding to learn your commands.

Insight:
Living according to God's Word is sensible! In verses 59 and 73, the psalmist gives two very practical reasons for doing so. First (v. 59), he considered the ways he was out of step with the instruction of Scripture and decided that living by God's statutes had better results. Secondly (v.73), he concludes that since God was his maker, God's commands would be the best guidance he could get.

Response and Action:
First, I need to give consideration to my ways. How would my life be better if I turned my steps to follow the instruction of the Bible? What difficulties and burdens in life are the result of failing to follow God? Secondly, since God is my maker, I need to trust him to know what is best for me. Doesn't it make sense to listen to my creator?

O God, show me your ways. Guide me in your truth and lead me. Teach, rebuke, correct, and train me through the wisdom of your inspired and useful Word. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverbs: 8:10-11
"Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her."

Resources:
How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
by Gordon Fee