Tuesday, September 18, 2007

September 18 - Made for Fellowship

Today's Reading:
Genesis 2:4 - 25
"Adam and Eve"

Focus Verses: Gen. 2:18-22
18 The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." 19 Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field. But for Adam no suitable helper was found. 21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

Insight:
God looked at all he created and said, "It is good." But when God looked at the man he created, he said, "It is not good for him to be alone." Human beings were created with the capacity and need for fellowship. It is not good for us to be alone. We were made for social interaction--to give to others and to receive from others. The relationship of husband and wife is the closest relationship two human beings can have--"bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh." The human experience is meant to be shared. That is why it is so important for us to protect and nurture community, family, and marriage.

Response and Action:
I have been made for relationship with other people. I will seek out relationships that nurture and support me. I will give thanks for the wonderful people God has brought into my life. I will make every effort to be a blessing to people around me. I will look to God for the guidance and strength I need for every relationship.

O God, thank you for the blessings of relationship. Thank you that am not alone. Thank you for my wife, for my family, for my church, and for my friends. Help me to honor you and to bless others--as a husband, father, son, brother, friend, neighbor, pastor, and colleague. Through Christ, I pray. Amen

Proverb for Today: Prov. 18:22
"He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD."

New Testament for Today: Romans 12:17-18
17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
In Context: Romans 12:1-21

Resources:
The Pursuit of God in the Company of Friends
by Richard Lamb