Thursday, September 06, 2007

September 6 - Strength, Truth, and Freedom

Today's Reading:
O.T. - Psalm 119:17-32
N.T. - 1 John 2:1-8

Focus Verses: Psalm 119:9-11

28 My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word. 29 Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me through your law. 30 I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws. 31 I hold fast to your statutes, O LORD; do not let me be put to shame. 32 I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.

Insight:
Taking time to read Scripture and meditate on it gives strength in times of weariness, and moral clarity in the face of lies. Running the path of God's commands leads to a heart that is free.

Response and Action:
Life is draining and demanding; I will look to God's Word as a source of strength. The world is filled with lies and deceit; I will look to the Bible for guidance and wisdom. My daily path is filled with snares and burdens; I will look to the words of Scripture to find freedom and peace for my heart and mind.

O God, by the power and grace of your Spirit, bless me and sustain me as I take time to meditate upon your Word each day. Grant me strength when I am weary. Give me joy in times of sorrow. Give me wisdom to discern what is true. Give me freedom as I follow your commands. I pray in the name of Jesus, the Word made flesh, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God now and forever. Amen.

Proverbs: 6:22-23
"When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life..."

Resources:
Transforming Bible Study: Understanding Scripture Like You've Never Read It Before
by Bob Grahmann