Tuesday, January 22, 2008

January 22 - I'm Not Alone

Overview of: 1 Kings

Today's Reading:
1Kgs. 19:1-18
"Elijah and God"

Focus Verses: 1 Kings 19:14, 18
14 He replied, "I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too."

- - - 18 Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel—all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and all whose mouths have not kissed him."

Insight:
Elijah felt like giving up on Israel. He thought that he was the only one left in Israel who had not turned away from God to worship Baal. God told Elijah that he was mistaken; there were still many others who remained faithful. There were some who would rise up as new leaders, a prophet who would follow in his footsteps, and seven-thousand others in Israel who were still true to God.

Response and Action:
There may be times faithfulness to God seems like a lonely enterprise. It can be tempting to feel overwhelmed by the world and be tempted to just give up. Years ago, my dad wrote a wonderful gospel song based on this text. I grew up hearing that song many times. The lyrics of that song still serve as a good reminder to me.

Everybody's not doing it, brother.
Don't give into the world!
You can overcome old Satan's power.
Although you may seem to be all alone,
Remember God is on your side;
And don't give into the world,
Stay true to the Lord.

O God, remind me that I am never alone in following Jesus and being faithful to you. Thank you for the many brothers and sister I have in your church. Surround me with many Christian friends who will support, encourage, teach, prod, and inspire me to be faithful to you. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 21:30
"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD."

New Testament for Today: Hebrews 10:24
24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
In Context: Hebrews 10:19-25

Recommended Reading:
Shaking the System: What I Learned from the Great American Reform Movements
by Tim Stafford