Saturday, January 26, 2008

January 26 - Opening My Eyes

Overview of: 2 Kings

Today's Reading:
2Kgs. 6:8-23
"The Blinded and the Sighted"

Focus Verses: 2 Kings 6:17-18
17 And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. 18 As the enemy came down toward him, Elisha prayed to the LORD, "Strike these people with blindness." So he struck them with blindness, as Elisha had asked.

Insight:
When Elisha's servant saw that the army of Aram had surrounded them, he was afraid. Elisha prayed that his eyes would be opened to see God's mighty power to defend and deliver. Next, he prayed that the eyes of his enemies would be closed so their plan of attack would be given up in blind confusion.

God has the power to help us see, and the power to strike us blind. He opens the eyes of those who seek and serve him, helping them to see his provision and power to save. He blinds and confuses the way of those who reject him and oppose his will.

Response and Action:
I will seek God with my whole heart, and ask him to open my eyes. I will open my eyes to the truth of Scripture. I will open my eyes to the work of the Spirit. I will open my eyes to the counsel and fellowship of the Church. I will open my eyes to the needs of the world. I will open my eyes to the possibilities God has for those who follow Jesus.

O God, open the eyes of my heart. I want to see you, your power, and your salvation. Light my way, show me your will, and save me from the blindness of sin. Thank you for the resurrection power you promise to all who believe in Jesus. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 26:12
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

New Testament for Today: Ephesians 1:18-20
18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, 20 which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms...
In Context: Ephesians 1:3-23

Recommended Reading:
Living the Resurrection: The Risen Christ in an Everyday Life
by Eugene Peterson