Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 23 - My Turn to Serve

Overview of: 2 Kings

Today's Reading:
2 Kgs. 2:1-18
"Elijah Departs & Elisha Begins"

Focus Verses: 2 Kings 2:11-14
11 As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. 12 Elisha saw this and cried out, "My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!" And Elisha saw him no more. Then he took hold of his own clothes and tore them apart.

13 He picked up the cloak that had fallen from Elijah and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. 14 Then he took the cloak that had fallen from him and struck the water with it. "Where now is the LORD, the God of Elijah?" he asked. When he struck the water, it divided to the right and to the left, and he crossed over.

Insight:
Elijah passed on his prophetic role to his servant Elisha. He had already anointed Elisha as his successor, but on the day of his departure, he acted out several important truths (in typical prophetic fashion). First, he made Elisha follow him closely wherever he went (a prophet goes wherever God leads). Secondly, he made Elisha demonstrate and declare his commitment and desire to do follow God (a prophet must be committed and wholehearted). Third, he made it clear to Elisha that the prophetic role and power was not his to give, but God's (a prophet can only be and do what God ordains).

Response and Action:
Like Elijah, I want to be faithful to serve God in the ways he has called me to serve. I want to train and encourage others to take up that service when I am no longer able to do it. Like Elisha, I want to follow in the footsteps of others who have faithfully served. I want to learn from them, recognize the ways God has used and empowered them, and, as God wills and empowers, take up and continue their work.

O God, help me to follow in the footsteps of others who have served you faithfully. Help me to learn from their example. Give me a desire to be like them. Grant me the same wisdom and power you granted to them. Raise up others who will be faithful to take up the work I am doing when the day comes that I can do it no longer. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 23:12
"Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge."

New Testament for Today: 2 Timothy 2:1-2
1 You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.
In Context: 2 Timothy 1:3-2:7

Recommended Reading:
Serious Times: Making Your Life Matter in an Urgent Day
by James Emery White