Monday, January 28, 2008

January 28 - Turning for the Better

Overview of: Joel

Today's Reading:
Joel 2:1-2, 10-19
"Repentance, and Restoration"

Focus Verses: Joel 2:19
19 The LORD will reply to them: "I am sending you grain, new wine and oil, enough to satisfy you fully; never again will I make you an object of scorn to the nations.

Insight:
The circumstances of drought and a locust infestation provide the imagery and occasion for the prophet Joel to warn the people of Israel about God's day of judgment. He called them to repentance and held out the hope of renewal and restoration for all who would return to the Lord with all their heart.

Response and Action:
What problems and hardships in my life can serve as warnings and reminders to me of my need to return to God? How can I humble myself before God and take hold of his promises for me?

O God, I want to follow Christ. Help me to turn away from what is wrong, and do what is right. Give me the humility and honesty to see and confess my sins. Thank you for the hope you offer through Christ. Thank you for the promise that if I confess my sins, you are faithful and just, and will forgive me of my sins and purify me from all unrighteousness (John 1:9). Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 28:13
"He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy."

New Testament for Today: 2 Corinthians 7:10
10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.
In Context: 2 Corinthians 7:2-16

Recommended Reading:
Never Beyond Hope: How God Touches & Uses Imperfect People
by J. I. Packer and Carolyn Nystrom