Tuesday, January 29, 2008

January 29 - Running Away

Overview of: Jonah

Today's Reading:
Jonah 1:1 – 2:10
"Jonah Flees"

Focus Verses: Jonah 1:1-3
1 The word of the LORD came to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me." 3 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD.

Insight:
The story of Jonah could not start in a more straightforward way. God clearly told Jonah what to do, but Jonah turned and ran away. Jonah had a clear calling from God, but he rejected God's direction and purpose. Jonah's problem was not that he didn't know what God wanted him to do, but rather the complete opposite--he knew exactly what God wanted him to do.

Response and Action:
I need to be careful to do the things I know God has called me to do. Am I running away from things I should be doing? Am I turning my back on clear direction from God? I will give careful thought to this and examine my ways. Sometimes the things I know God wants me to do seem difficult and I'm tempted to give up on them. Instead of giving up or looking for a way out, I must trust God to strengthen and sustain me.

O God, forgive me for the times I run away from your will and guidance for my life. Help me to trust you with all my heart and accept your call. Give me a heart that is ready and willing to follow you wherever you lead. Help me to delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your name. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

Proverb for Today: Prov. 29:18
"Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law."

New Testament for Today: 2 Timothy 4:2
2 Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.
In Context: 2 Timothy 4:1-5

Recommended Reading:
Never Beyond Hope: How God Touches & Uses Imperfect People
by J. I. Packer and Carolyn Nystrom