Saturday, December 16, 2006

December 16 - Motives in the Light

Today's Reading:
Old Testament:
Judges 13 - 15
New Testament:
1 Corinthians 4

Focus Verses: 1 Cor. 4:1-5
1So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God. 2Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. 3I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

Insight:
The motives of our hearts are open before God. He knows them and he can expose them and bring them to light.

Response and Action:
I want to please God. Only God can truly understand my actions and the motivation for those actions. Pleasing God and bringing him praise should be my motivation for all that I do.

O God, help me to keep my eyes on you. Help me to love you with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. You have blessed me in many ways; help me to live faithfully for you. Do not let me be tempted or influenced by a need to receive the praise of people, but instead, give me a heart that is motivated by a desire to receive your commendation. Amen.

Proverbs: 16:2
"All a man's ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the LORD."

Resources:
Desiring God's Will: Aligning Our Hearts With The Heart Of God
by David G. Benner