Tuesday, December 26, 2006

December 26 - Thinking about Faith and Gifts

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 1 Samuel 14
N.T. - 1 Corinthians 14

Focus Verses:
1 Samuel 14:6b
Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few.

1 Corinthians 14:12b
Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

Insight:
In today's Old Testament reading we se that Saul's son, Jonathan, was a man of great faith and daring action. He acted with greater insight and faith than his father the King. He believed God was able to do great things whether by few or by many.

In our New Testament reading, Paul instructs the Corinthian Christians to seek after and exercise the spiritual gifts that build up others. Serving others and edifying the church are the primary purposes of spiritual giftedness.

Response and Action:
God can use me. My limitations and weaknesses do not limit or restrain God. God has given me gifts and abilities for serving him. God can even use my weaknesses and lack of giftedness. I want to be a man of action and faith, like Jonathan. I want my actions, my service, and my gifts to be used by God for the cause of Christ and the benefit of his Church.

O God, help me to surrender fully to you in faith that I might be used by you. Help me to step out and take action, remembering that you are not restrained by my strengths or weaknesses. Strengthen me and graciously give me abilities and gifts I need to do my part to serve others and build up the Church. Through Christ, Amen.

Proverbs: 26:12
"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him."

Resources:
Spiritual Gifts
R. Paul Stevens