Friday, December 29, 2006

December 29 - Getting and Giving Comfort

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 1 Samuel 19 - 20
N.T. - 2 Corinthians 1:1 - 2:4

Focus Verses: 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

Insight:
God is compassionate. He sees and knows our troubles and he sustains and comforts us. For this, we should offer him praise and thanks. The comfort we receive from God enables us to bring comfort to others around us as they encounter trouble and despair.

Response and Action:
I need to take not of the many ways God has sustained, comforted, and brought me through troubles and hardships. I need to praise God for his love and provision and promises. I need to be mindful of those around me who are experiencing trouble and do what I can to pass along the same comfort I have received. I can be a source of God's comfort and encouragement to others. I must look to God for the grace to endure trouble and the grace to help others in trouble.

O God, thank you for the grace and comfort you extend to me through your word, your Spirit, your people, and your provision. I praise you for being a God of comfort and consolation. Help me to always look to you for the strength and hope I need in the face of troubles. Give me eyes to see the hurts and troubles of those around me; give me a heart of compassion toward them; and give me the strength and will to be an instrument of comfort in their lives. Amen.

Proverbs: 29:7
"The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern."

Resources:
Christian Caregiving: A Way of Life
by Kenneth C. Haugk