Thursday, December 21, 2006

December 21 - Running to Win

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 1 Samuel 1 - 2
N.T. - 1 Corinthians 9

Focus Verses: 1 Cor.9:24-27
24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Insight:
Paul uses the metaphor of running a race to describe the Christian life of discipleship, holiness, and mission. The Christian life has a goal; it requires effort, training, and self-control. With this in mind, Paul says that he runs with: 1. Direction - He is not aimless. 2. Discipline - He exercises control over his body and his actions. 3) Diligence - He is in the race for the long run and his eye is on the prize at the finish line.

Response and Action:
Christ has called me to a life of discipleship - serving and honoring God, becoming more like Jesus, and sharing in the work and mission of Jesus. This Christian life will require no less focus, effort, training, and self-control than a runner who is competing in the Olympics. I must keep my purpose before me at all times - direction. I must be very intentional and make every effort to establish patterns and practices in my life that move me toward my goals - discipline. I must be persistent and perseverant and keep my eye on the finish line, realizing that my goals are lifetime goals - diligence.

O God, help me to run my life's race with direction, discipline, and diligence. Show me the ways I should go through your word and by your Spirit. By your grace and power, help me to live with discipline and self-control. Help me to do the things that help me grow stronger in Christ. Uphold me and encourage me that I might be faithful and diligent as I follow Jesus all the days of my life. Amen.

Proverbs: 21:31
"The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD."

Resources:
The Spirit of the Disciplines - Understanding How God Changes Lives
by Dallas Willard