Monday, December 18, 2006

December 18 - Bodies that Honor God

Today's Reading:
Old Testament:
Judges 19 - 21
New Testament:
1 Corinthians 6

Focus Verses: 1 Cor. 6:13b-20
The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh." 17But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit. 18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Insight:
Sexual immorality is a product of fallen humanity. The human body is not meant for immorality. The body is intended for glorifying God. God raised Jesus from the dead and by that same power he can raise us from our fallen condition. Sexuality is a very deep part of the human self. That makes it a very dangerous form of sin. Once it takes root in our bodies it is very difficult to root it out, and its impact upon our whole person can be devastating. We need to think of our bodies as a temple -- a holy place for the Holy Spirit to live. We bring honor to God by caring for our bodies and making sure they are used for holy purposes.

Response and Action:
I must avoid sexual immorality. I must recognize the danger sexual immorality poses to my whole self. I need to honor God with my body. I need to draw upon the resurrection power of the Holy Spirit to rise above the vulnerability of my fallen nature. I must recognize that God's power and grace can raise me up.

O God, lead me away from temptation and deliver me from evil. Create in me a clean heart. Strengthen me to do what is right and to honor you with my body.
Amen.

Proverbs: 18:3
"When wickedness comes, so does contempt, and with shame comes disgrace."

Resources:
Real Sex: The Naked Truth about Chastity
by Lauren F. Winner