Thursday, January 11, 2007

January 11 - Directly from Jesus

Today's Reading:
O.T. - 2 Samuel 20 - 21
N.T. - Galatians 1

Focus Verses: Galatians 1:11-12
11I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. 12I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

Insight:
Paul makes a boldfaced claim about his preaching. He says he received it by revelation from Jesus Christ. It's not a religion or philosphy he has learned from others or invented himself. It is truth he has received directly from the living Christ -- from Jesus, who has raised from the dead and has chosen Paul to be his messenger to the Gentiles (vv.15-16).

The claims of Jesus -- "I am the way, the Christ, the Son of God" -- put me in a position where I have to decide whether or not to accept them. Is he confused, or misunderstood, or lying, or telling the truth? The claims are so straightforward that they require a response. In the same way, I have to decide whether or not to accept Paul's claims -- "my message is not man-made, not invented, not learned, but rather revealed to me directly from Jesus Christ." Is he confused, misunderstood, or lying, or telling the truth?

Response and Action:
I have decided to accept Paul's claims and therefore regard his teaching as true and authoritative. His claim is so straightforward I cannot see room for misunderstanding. His life and the hardships he faced for preaching his message don't support any motive for lying. His reasoning, relationships, and results don't indicate any mental instability. The most logical conclusion is that he is telling the truth. I accept authority of the Bible because I believe it to be revealed by God, just as the Apostle Paul says to Timothy, "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuke, correction, and training in righteousness."

O God, thank you for the inspired truth of the New Testament scriptures that have been given to us through the apostles. Help me to understand and apply what I read. I seek you with all my heart, do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Amen.

Proverbs: 11:3
"
The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity."

Resources:
Can I Trust the Bible?: Defending the Bible's Reliability
by Darrell Bock